Quest One ActiveRoles can use the Microsoft SQL Server database mirroring technology to improve the availability of the Administration Service. Database mirroring provides a standby database server that supports failover. Once the current database server fails, the Administration Service can recover quickly by automatically reconnecting to the standby server.
Database mirroring increases database availability by supporting rapid failover. This technology can be used to maintain two copies of a single Quest One ActiveRoles database on different server instances of SQL Server Database Engine. One server instance serves the database to the Administration Service; this instance is referred to as the principal server. The other instance acts as a standby server; this instance is referred to as the mirror server.
In the Quest One ActiveRoles console, you can view the mirroring status of the Configuration or
Management History database that is used by a particular instance of the Administration Service:
1) In the console tree, select Configuration | Server Configuration | Administration Services.
2) In the details pane, double-click the name of the Administration Service whose database you want to examine.
3) In the Properties dialog box, click the Configuration Database or Management History
Database tab, and observe the information in the Database mirroring area:
• Role: Current role of the database in the database mirroring session (Principal or Mirror).
• Partner: The instance name and computer name for the other partner in the database
• State: Current state of the mirrored database and of the database mirroring session.
For more information about this field, see the “Mirroring States” topic at:
If no information is displayed in the Database Mirroring area, then database mirroring is not configured.
You can also view the mirroring status of a Configuration database or a Management History database on the General tab in the Properties dialog box for the object representing that database in the Configuration/Server Configuration/Configuration Databases or Configuration/Server Configuration/Management History Databases container, respectively.
For more information, please visit page 574 (Using Database Mirroring) of the enclosed AdminGuide: QuestOneActiveRoles_6.9_AdminGuide.pdf.