Some common questions about the Active Roles (ARS) Collector.
The ARS Collector collects two parts of data –
1) Active Directory data (users, groups etc.)
2) ARS Event log’s events.
The first data are collected fromcurrent ARS service only. And this data is stored in the DB until next run of the Collector. That is next run of Collector clears previous collected data 1).
The second data (events) are collected fromall ARS services of current replication group. And these events are stored permanently. That is new collected events are just added to DB.
Are two ARS services from one replication group?
If yes, events collecting from all services is possible in a single Collector run.
If no, events should be collected from each services separately.
1. In a single forest/single domain, we have 2 ARS servers running the Admin service, web interface, and datacollectors.
2. What is the supported method of configuring the data collectors so that I can run reports from a single instance of the questknowledgeportal/report pack and gather information collected from both data collectors?
Currently there is no way to perform this type of gathering. It is a limitation of the way the collector works. When you run the collector, it deletes all information from the database except the ARS events. It then begins writing the new data to the DB. If you try and run the collector from another machine but use the samed database, all the old information will be removed except for the EDM events. (Thus, making your first collection null and void). There is no way to perform a single point of gathering with the collector in it's current architecture. Each forest must use their own collector database.
3. What should each data collector be set to collect and is there a supported method for high availability of the data collectors?
The collector is a very simple program. If you use an active/passive SQL cluster, in theory the collector will never notice a failover to the second cluster as long as the server name and sql server remains the same.
4. What is the standard install configuration that Quest suggests as I am aware that some customers use multiple collectors depending on the location of the admin servers, etc.
A collector should exist for each forest, so each has their own database. You can use the knowledge portal to close the reoprts for each forest and have each report section run against their own collector database.
5. If I change the datacollector to run on the SQL report server that I setup, then can it collect data from both of the ARS Admin servers or will it only collect data from a single server?
As above -- the last set of data that is collected by the collector wins. Use a seperate database if you wish to do this.