If a container, such as an organizational unit in your Active Directory, holds large number of objects, you can narrow down the displayed list of objects by filtering the objects held in that specific container.
To filter the objects held in a container
- Navigate to the container in the Web Interface.
To navigate to a container, you can search for the container object (see Searching for directory objects) and then click its name in the list of search results on the Search page. Alternatively, you can browse for the container objects by using the Browse pane and the List of objects.
IMPORTANT: The scope of filtering is always set to the current container, and does not include any subcontainers of that container. Filtering is essentially a search for objects held in a given container only. If you want to search the current container and all of its subcontainers, click Search under this container in the Command pane, and then configure and perform a search as described in Searching for directory objects earlier in this document.
- Specify how you want to filter the objects held in the container:
- To filter objects by naming properties, type in the Filter field on the Toolbar and then press Enter or click the button next to the Filter field. The list of objects will include only the objects whose naming properties match what you typed. The naming properties include name, first name, last name, display name, and logon name.
- To filter objects by other properties, click the button on the right side of the Toolbar to expand the Toolbar, click Add criteria, choose the properties by which you want to filter, click Add, and then configure the criteria as appropriate. The list of objects will include only the objects that match the criteria you configured.
- To apply the filter, press Enter or click the button next to the Filter field on the Toolbar.
When a filter is applied to a container, the Web Interface lists a subset of all objects held in that container. You can remove the filter to view all objects: If you did not add criteria, clear the Filter field on the Toolbar and then press Enter; otherwise, expand the Toolbar, click Clear all, and then press Enter.