Normally to demote a Subscriber to Standalone mode, this would be done from the Publisher MMC console via Configuration | Server Configuration | Administration Services.
In the event that the Publisher is down, is there a way to force demotion from the Subscriber machine?
It is possible to demote the Subscriber to a Standalone from the Subscriber machine in the event that the Publisher is unavailable.
NOTE: The recommended procedure for demoting a Subscriber to Standalone is still from the Publisher machine as described in the ActiveRoles Server Admin Guide under Configuring Replication | Removing Members from a Replication Group. This solution is provided solely as a workaround in the event the Publisher is permanently unavailable.
Procedure is as follows:
1. Log on to ActiveRoles Server MMC, connecting to a Subscriber Administration Service
2. Expand Configuration | Server Configuration | Administration Services
3. In the top right pane, right-click the Subscriber machine | All Tasks | Advanced Properties
4. In the window, select the options to "Show all possible attributes" and "Include attributes with empty values"
5. Scroll to "edsvaReplicationForceStandalone" attribute
6. Set the value of this attribute to "true"
7. Click OK, then OK
Console should refresh automatically and the Subscriber Service will now be in Standalone mode. If the Publisher is permanently unavailable, this procedure will be required on each Subscriber, then one should be promoted to Publisher and the others re-configured as Subscribers to this Publisher.