Here's how things work for Managed vs. Unmanaged accounts:
Disable an Employee with Full Managed
ADSAccount and assigned Exchange mailbox:
- the ADSAccount is flagged as disabled. Then the AD account is disabled/deleted.
- Flags both the ADSAccount and Exchange accounts for deletion.
- The Exchange account in AD is disabled.
- Deactivate the Employee - it is disabled, the ADSAccount is not, as expected.
- If you then manually disable the ADSAccount, that disables the AD account, but NOT the Exchange mailbox.
So, depending on your account resources and the manage levels, the AD Account and Exchange mailbox may or may not be deleted.
For more information regarding manage levels and account resources, please refer to the Identity Management guide, Manage Levels for Handling Active Directory User Accounts