How to perform an in place upgrade from 5.5.x to 5.6.x with no Secure Password Extension (SPE) see the steps below:
Before begining the upgrade process, make sure you have the service account credentials and application pool account credentials as they will be requested during the upgrade process.
1) For back up purposes please create a configuration file:
1) On the Password Manager server Create a backup folder on the desktop or secure location.
2) proceed to C:\ProgramData\Quest Software\Password Manager
3) copy Local.storage and shared.storage to the backup folder
You can also use the Import/export option found on the Admin site under General Settings. Creating an export file here will allow you to restore to the point of that export if any issues occur.
2) Install Password Manager 5.6.x on the server by launching the autorun within the installation media and walking through the installation wizard
3) Verify that the settings have successfully imported to the new installation
4) A reboot of the server is recommended after the upgrade to 5.6.x
5) Confirm the URL used by the SPE is also changed:
1) Launch the 5.6.1 Admin site
2) Proceed to general settings|Realm Instances
3) Select "Edit"
4) Change the URL to show http://server_name/PMuser rather than http://server_name/QPMuser