How to upgrade from Syslog-NG PE 6 to 7. This knowledge article helps migrate syslog-ng Premium Edition (PE) from version 6 to 7.
Upgrade from Syslog-ng PE 6 directly to Syslog-ng PE 7.0.17 and higher. To download go to https://support.oneidentity.com/syslog-ng-premium-edition/download-new-releases
For information about testing please read: https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/upgrading-syslog-ng-pe-from-version-6-to-7
For instructions on how to upgrade please read Upgrading from syslog-ng PE 6.0.x to version 7 in the Administration Guide.
Please note: These instructions are for upgrading from Syslog-ng PE 6.0.x to 7.0.16. Because of the different program core in syslog-ng PE 6.0.x and 7.0.x, the direct upgrade is not supported since it may cause issues.
Important things to know before upgrading
1. Download the installer package of the latest version from the Support Portal.
2. If syslog-ng PE is running in server mode download the new license file from My License Assets.
3. Test your current syslog-ng PE 6 configuration on a test machine with syslog-ng PE 7.
In the procedure the default syslog-ng installation directory /opt/syslog-ng and the /opt/syslog-ng-pe6-backup backup directory will be used.
1. Empty the disk-buffer files if there are any, see the knowledge article "How to empty disk-buffer files".2. Stop syslog-ng PE 6.
systemctl stop syslog-ng
3. Ensure that syslog-ng has been stopped.
ps axu | grep syslog-ng
4. Create a backup of the syslog-ng installation directory.
cp -a /opt/syslog-ng /opt/syslog-ng-pe6-backup
5. Uninstall syslog-ng PE 6. See more details in Syslog-ng PE 6 Administration Guide.
6. Remove the syslog-ng installation directory.
rm -rf /opt/syslog-ng
7. Install syslog-ng PE 7. See more details in Syslog-ng PE 7 Administration Guide.
Note: To run syslog-ng under a non-privileged user see the following knowledge article. link
8. Stop syslog-ng started by the installer.
systemctl stop syslog-ng
9. Copy the tested PE 7 ready configuration to the /opt/syslog-ng/etc directory.
10. Restart syslog-ng and check its status and log processing.
See knowledge article Managing and checking syslog-ng service on Linux
Remove the backup files of PE 6 only when you made sure that the new PE 7 installation works properly.
If you have questions or encounter an issue during the upgrade procedure open a Service Request by going to the Support portal and include a debug bundle.