When attempting to view one of the Password Manager sites (PMAdmin, PMHelpDesk or PMUser) you receive a Service Unavailable message.
Note: If you cannot browse to the Default Web site (http://localhost) and the DefaultAppPool is stopped or crashes each time you browse to any website, contact Microsoft or consult Microsoft documentation to determine why IIS is not functioning properly.
This issue may occur if the application pool for the Password Manager web site is configured incorrectly in Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
The default Application pool used by Password Manager is PMAdmin, PMHelpdesk, and PMuser can be found under the Application Pools node within Internet Information Services:
- In IIS, expand "Web Sites", then expand "Default Web Site". Select "PMAdmin", right-click and choose "Manage application" | Advanced Settings... | The Application pool that is being used is listed under General.
- Ensure the PMAdmin, PMHelpdesk, and PMuser Application Pools are started: expand "Application Pools" within IIS, select "PMAdmin, PMHelpdesk, and PMuser". The "Start", "Stop" and "Pause" options will appear in the toolbar at the top. These options are also available by right-clicking the "PRMAppPool" itself ("Recycle" appears instead of "Pause").
- Verify the account used as the Application pool identity is active and correct: right-click "PRMAppPool" select "Properties". Select the "Identity" tab. The account will be "Predefined" or "Configurable".
- If Password Manager is installed on a member server, verify the "Identity" account is a member of the Local Administrators group.
- If the "Identity" account is NOT a member of the "IIS_WPG" local group, you may also get the "Service Unavailable" message.
- Additionally, an IISReset may be necessary following starting or restarting the PRMAppPool Application Pool.