How to change the Active Roles Server (ARS) database holding the Publisher Role?
Moving the Publisher Role:
Use the Active Roles Server console to remove all Subscribers and to demote the Publisher as follows:
1. In the console tree, expand Configuration | Server Configuration, and select
2. In the details pane, right-click a Subscriber, and click Delete.
3. In the confirmation message box, click Yes.
4. Repeat Steps 2–3 for each Subscriber.
5. In the details pane, right-click the Publisher, and click Demote.
6. In the confirmation message box, click Yes.
7. Wait while Active Roles Server demotes the Publisher.
After these steps, you can promote the appropriate SQL Server to Publisher and designate the other SQL
Servers as Subscribers to the new Publisher, thus configuring the new replication group.
After you add a Subscriber, the configuration data stored on the Publisher is replicated to the Subscriber,
overriding the data on that Subscriber. Therefore, in order to retain your existing configuration of
ActiveRoles Server, it is advisable to assign the Publisher role to SQL Server that belonged to the old
replication group. This ensures that each Administration Service in the new replication group inherits the
configuration that was in place when you removed the Subscribers and demoted the Publisher.
To configure the new replication group, perform the following steps using the Active Roles Server
1. Right-click the console tree root, click Connect, and then select the Administration Service
whose SQL Server you want to hold the Publisher role.
2. In the console tree, expand Configuration | Server Configuration, and select the
Configuration Databases container.
3. In the details pane, right-click the database and click Promote.
4. In the confirmation message box, click Yes.
5. Wait while ActiveRoles Server performs the operation.
6. In the details pane, right-click the Publisher, and click Add Replication Partner.
7. On the Welcome page in the New Replication Partner wizard, click Next.
8. On the Database Selection page, click Browse.
9. In the Connect to Administration Service dialog box, select the Administration Service
whose SQL Server is to be configured as a Subscriber to this Publisher. Click OK.
10. In the New Replication Partner wizard, click Next, click Next, and then click Finish.
11. Repeat Steps 6–10 for each SQL Server you want to make a Subscriber.