Creating a user account
You can create a user account as follows: in the console tree, right-click the container where you want to add the user account, select New | User, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.
In the wizard, some property labels may be displayed as hyperlinks. In the following figure, these are Full name, Display name, User logon name and User logon name (pre-Windows 2000). The hyperlink indicates that Active Roles enforces certain policy restrictions on the property. To examine policy details, click the hyperlink: the policy information is displayed (see Getting policy-related information earlier in this document).
Figure 4: Creating a user account
The policy information is also displayed whenever you supply a property value that violates a policy restriction. The wizard cannot proceed until you enter an acceptable value.
Steps for creating a user account
To create a user account
- In the console tree, locate and select the folder in which you want to add the user account.
- Right-click the folder, point to New and click User to start the New Object - User wizard.
- Follow the wizard pages to specify properties of the new user account, such as the user first name, last name, full name, display name, logon name, pre-Windows 2000 logon name, password, and Exchange mailbox settings.
- If you want to set values for additional properties (those for which the wizard pages do not provide data entries), click Edit Attributes on the completion page of the wizard.
- After setting any additional properties for the new user account, click Finish on the completion page of the wizard.
- The behavior of the wizard pages may vary depending on the configuration of Active Roles policies. To determine whether a given item on a page is under the control of a certain policy, observe the text label next to the item: the underlined text label indicates that certain policy restrictions are in effect. Click underlined text labels to examine the policies that govern the behavior of the wizard pages.
- also start the New Object - User wizard by clicking on the toolbar.
- To create a user account, you can also copy a previously created user account. For more information, see Copying a user account.
- A new user account with the same name as a previously deleted user account does not automatically assume the permissions and group memberships of the previously deleted account because the security ID (SID) for each account is unique. To duplicate a deleted user account, all permissions and memberships must be manually recreated.
Steps for finding a user account
To find a user account
- On the Action menu, click Find to display the Find window.
- In the Find box, click Users.
- In the In box, select the domain, container or Managed Unit you want to search, or click Browse to locate a domain, container or Managed Unit.
- Type in a name, a description, or both:
- In the Name box, type the name (or a part of the name) of the user you want to find.
- In the Description box, type the description (or a part of the description) of the user you want to find.
- Click Find Now to start your search.
- You can manage found user accounts directly from the list in the Find window: right-click a list item, and then use commands on the shortcut menu to perform management tasks.
- For more information on how to search for user accounts, see Steps for searching for a user, contact, or group earlier in this document.
- You can use the Advanced tab for more powerful search options. For details, see Steps for using advanced search options earlier in this document.
Finding a user account
To find a user account, right-click the container you want to search and click Find. In the Find window, select Users from the Find list, specify your search criteria, and start the search. In the search results list, you can right-click user accounts and use commands on the shortcut menu to perform management tasks. For more information, see Finding objects earlier in this document.