Getting and using help
Active Roles Help explains concepts and includes instructions for performing tasks with the product.
You can use the following guidelines to get assistance while you work:
- To access Active Roles Help, click Help on the Action menu or Help Topics on the Help menu.
- To view description of a dialog box, click the Help button in the dialog box or press F1.
- To view a brief description of a menu command or a toolbar button, point to the command or button. The description is displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the window.
You can print a single Help topic or all Help topics under a selected heading.
To print a single Help topic
- On the menu bar, click Help and then click Help Topics.
- In the left pane of the Help viewer, expand the heading that contains the topic you want to print, and then click the topic.
- On the Help viewer toolbar, click Options, click Print, and then click OK.
To print all Help topics under a heading
- On the menu bar, click Help, and then click Help Topics.
- In the left pane of the Help viewer, click the heading that contains the topics you want to print.
- On the Help viewer toolbar, click Options, and then click Print.
- In the Print Topics dialog box, click Print the selected heading and all subtopics, and then click OK.
User Interface overview
The Active Roles console window is divided into two panes. The left pane contains the console tree, showing the items that are available in the console. The right pane, known as the details pane, displays information about items you select in the console tree. You can perform most management tasks from this pane using commands on the Action menu.
Additional information is displayed in the lower sub-pane of the details pane when you check the Advanced Details Pane command on the View menu. You can perform management tasks from the lower sub-pane using commands on the Action menu.
NOTE: On the title bar of the Active Roles Web Interface, click Feedback to provide a product feedback. You are redirected to a new browser that allows you to provide the feedback.
- For Admin site, by default, the feedback option is available.
- For HelpDesk site, navigate to Customization | Global Settings and check the Enable user feedback link check-box to enable the feedback option.
- The feedback option is not available for SelfService site.
The left pane of the Active Roles console contains the console tree.
The console tree root is labeled Active Roles. The name of the Administration Service is shown in square brackets. If you have Advanced view mode selected for Active Roles console display (View | Mode), the following folders are shown under the console tree root:
- Configuration Contains all Active Roles proprietary objects held in containers with appropriate names.
- Active Directory Contains a list of domains registered with Active Roles. In this folder, you can browse domains for directory objects (users, group, computers), and perform management tasks on those objects.
- AD LDS (ADAM) Contains a list of AD LDS directory partitions registered with Active Roles. In this folder, you can browse partitions for directory objects (users, group, containers), and perform management tasks on those objects.
- Applications Contains a list of applications integrated with Active Roles, such as Reporting, and allows for quick access to those applications.
The console display mode determines which folders are displayed in the console tree. For more information, see View mode later in this document.
When you select an item in the console tree, the details pane changes accordingly. To perform administrative tasks, click items in the details pane and use commands on the Action menu. The Action menu commands also appear on the shortcut menu that you can access by right-clicking items in the console tree or details pane.
By default, the objects listed in the details pane are sorted in ascending order by object name. You can change the sorting order by clicking a column heading. You can add and remove columns in the details pane using the Choose Columns command on the View menu.
In the Active Roles console you can apply filters to the details pane in order to search for directory objects. To configure a filter, select a domain and then click Filter Options on the View menu. It is also possible to find an object in the details pane by typing a few characters. This will select the first item in the sorted column that matches what you typed.