Policies in this category are intended to automatically send a report on deprovisioning results upon completion of a deprovisioning operation. The primary purpose of such a policy is to inform designated persons about problems, if any encountered, when processing deprovisioning requests. These reports are discussed later in this chapter (see the Report on deprovisioning results section).
Reports are delivered via e-mail. When configuring a Report Distribution policy, you can set up a list of report recipients, customize the subject of report messages, and specify whether to send a report if no errors occurred.
Upon completion of a deprovisioning operation, Active Roles uses this policy to determine if the report on deprovisioning results must be sent. Then, Active Roles generates the report message and sends it to the recipients specified in the policy configuration. The report includes a list of actions taken during the deprovisioning operation. For each action, the report informs of whether the action is completed successfully, and provides information about the action results.
With the Report Distribution policy configured not to send reports if no errors occurred, Active Roles examines the deprovisioning results for errors. If there are no errors, the report is not sent.
Active Roles generates deprovisioning reports on a per-object basis: Each report message contains information on the deprovisioning of one object. When deprovisioning multiple objects, Active Roles sends multiple report messages, one message per deprovisioned object.
Active Roles sends report messages via an SMTP server. The policy configuration specifies the outbound SMTP server by using Active Roles e-mail settings that include the name of the SMTP server and information required to connect to the SMTP server.
To configure a Report Distribution policy, select Report Distribution on the Policy to Configure page in the New Deprovisioning Policy Object wizard or in the Add Deprovisioning Policy wizard. Then, click Next to display the Report Recipients and Message page.
On the Report Recipients and Message page, you can set up a list of report recipients, make any necessary changes to the message subject, and specify whether you want the policy to send out the report if no errors occurred during the deprovisioning operation.
To specify report recipients, click the button next to the Report recipients box, and then type one or more e-mail addresses. Use a semicolon to separate the addresses of the recipients.
If you need to modify the message subject, type in the Message subject box. You can use macros to enter information about the deprovisioned object, to make the message more meaningful to the recipients.
Macros have the same syntax and semantics as values for policy conditions in Property Generation and Validation policies: An attribute’s LDAP display name enclosed in angle brackets (<>) and prefixed with the percent character (%) represents the value of that attribute. For instance, before sending a message, Active Roles replaces %<name> with the original name of the object that has been deprovisioned.
NOTE: Active Roles retrieves the attribute value prior to starting the deprovisioning operation so the value is current as of the time the deprovisioning process begins. Even if you have a deprovisioning policy configured to update a given attribute, the message reads the original rather than updated value of that attribute.
If you want the policy to send out the report regardless of whether or not the deprovisioning operation is completed without any errors, clear the Send out the report only if any errors occur check box; otherwise, the report is not sent if the object was deprovisioned without errors.
When you are done, click Next to display the Outgoing Mail Server page.
This page is similar to the respective wizard page for Notification Distribution policies (see How to configure a Notification Distribution policy). You can select the e-mail configuration you want the policy to use, and view or modify e-mail settings in the selected configuration.
First, from the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) list, select the e-mail configuration you want the policy to use.
NOTE: By default, the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) list includes a single entry. You can add more entries to the list using the Active Roles console. In the console tree, expand Configuration/Server Configuration, right-click Mail Configuration, select New | Mail Configuration, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.
Each e-mail configuration specifies an SMTP server and provides information required to connect to that server. You can view and modify configuration parameters by clicking the Settings button. For instructions, see Configuring e-mail settings earlier in this chapter.
When you are done, click Next and follow the instructions in the wizard to create the Policy Object.
To configure a Report Distribution policy
- On the Policy to Configure page, select Report Distribution Policy, and then click Next.
- On the Report Recipients and Message page, do the following, and then click Next:
- Click the button next to Report recipients, and then select one or more e-mail recipients.
- In Message Subject, type the subject of the message that the specified recipients will receive upon completion of a deprovisioning operation.
- Select the Send out the report only if any errors occur check box if you want the policy not to send the report if no errors occurred during the deprovisioning operation. Clear the check box if you want the policy to send the report regardless of whether or not any errors occurred.
- On the Outgoing Mail Server page, select the e-mail configuration you want the policy to use. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) list, click the appropriate mail settings.
- If you want to view or modify the selected mail settings, click Settings, and use the Mail Setup tab (see Configuring e-mail settings earlier in this document).
- Click Next.
- On the Enforce Policy page, you can specify objects to which this Policy Object is to be applied:
- Click Add, and use the Select Objects dialog box to locate and select the objects you want.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.