Safeguard for Privileged Passwords allows you to define and schedule an audit log management task to purge audit logs from the Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Appliance and archive older audit logs to a designated archive server. Archiving audit logs allows you to keep critical and relevant data online and current while eliminating or archiving audit logs that are no longer required.
CAUTION: The initial and subsequent archiving and purging of audit logs can take hours. The cluster is locked during the process. Carefully schedule and monitor this process.
To define and schedule when to perform an audit log archival task:
- Navigate to Administrative Tools | Settings | Backup and Retention | Audit Log Management.
Select Run Every to run the job along per the run details you enter. (If you deselect Run Every, the schedule details are lost.
Configure the following:
To specify the frequency without start and end times, select from the following controls. If you want to specify start and end times, go to the Use Time Window selection in this section.
- Minutes: The job runs per the frequency of minutes you specify. For example, Every 30 Minutes runs the job every half hour over a 24-hour period. It is recommended you do not use the frequency of minutes except in unusual situations, such as testing.
Hours: The job runs per the minute setting you specify. For example, if it is 9 a.m. and you want to run the job every two hours at 15 minutes past the hour starting at 9:15 a.m., select Runs Every 2 Hours @ 15 minutes after the hour.
Days: The job runs on the frequency of days and the time you enter.
For example, Every 2 Days @ 11:59:00 PM runs the job every other evening just before midnight.
Weeks The job runs per the frequency of weeks at the time and on the days you specify.
For example, Every 2 Weeks @ 5:00:00 AM and Repeat on these days with MON, WED, FRI selected runs the job every other week at 5 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Months: The job runs on the frequency of months at the time and on the day you specify.
For example, If you select Every 2 Months @ 1:00:00 AM along with First Saturday of the month, the job will run at 1 a.m. on the first Saturday of every other month.
Select Use Time Windows if you want to enter the Start and End time. You can click add or - delete to control multiple time restrictions. Each time window must be at least one minute apart and not overlap.
For example, for a job to run every ten minutes every day from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., enter these values:
Enter Every 10 Minutes and Use Time Windows:
- Start 10:00:00 PM and End 11:59:00 AM
Start 12:00:00 AM and End 2:00:00 AM
An entry of Start 10:00:00 PM and End 2:00:00 AM will result in an error that the end time must be after the start time.
If you have selected Days, Weeks, or Months, you will be able to select the number of times for the job to Repeat in the time window you enter.
For a job to run two times every other day at 10:30 am between the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 p.m., enter these values:
For days, enter Every 2 Days and set the Use Time Windows as Start 4:00:00 AM and End 20:00:00 PM and Repeat 2.
- Time Zone: Select the time zone.
- Select an approach:
- Archive and delete logs:
- For Archive and delete audit logs older than __ days, enter the number of days that should pass before audit logs are archived to an archive server and deleted off the appliance.
- Select Send to archive server to store the audit logs externally from the appliance.
Note: This option is only available if you have configured an archive server. For more information, see Adding an archive server.
- Click Test to test the connection to the archive server.
- To delete audit logs from the appliance and not back them up on an archive server, enter the days in Delete audit logs older than __ days.
- Archive and delete logs:
- Click OK.