About Password Manager
Password Manager Overview
Password Manager Overview
Password Manager is a Web-based application that provides an easy-to-implement and use, yet highly secure, password management solution. Users can connect to Password Manager by using their favorite browser and perform password self-management tasks, thus eliminating the need for assistance from high-level administrators and reducing help desk workload. The solution offers a powerful and flexible password policy control mechanism that allows the Password Manager administrator to ensure that all passwords in the organization comply with the established policies.
Password Manager allows managing users that do not have accounts in the Active Directory. For example, using Password Manager you can manage passwords for contractors and other external users.
Integration with One Identity Quick Connect Sync Engine facilitates cross-platform password synchronization that enables Password Manager to change user passwords across multiple connected data sources.
The key features and benefits of Password Manager include:
- Global access.Password Manager provides 24x7x365 access to the Self-Service site from intranet computers as well as via Internet from any most common browser. The solution supports flexible access modes and logon options.
- Strong data encryption and secure communication.The solution relies on industry-leading technologies for enhanced communication security and data encryption.
- Cross-platform password synchronization.Password Manager has been designed to use One Identity Quick Connect Sync Engine, which makes it possible to automatically synchronize users' passwords across multiple connected data sources.
- Web interface for a helpdesk service.Password Manager features the Helpdesk site which allows administrators to delegate helpdesk tasks to dedicated operators. These tasks include resetting user passwords, managing users' Questions and Answers profiles, and assigning temporary passcodes to users.
- x64 version of Password Policy Manager.An x64 version of Password Policy Manager module has been designed for use on domain controllers running an x64 Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
- E-mail event notifications.Administrators can configure event notifications that are sent by e-mail to designated recipients when specified events occur.
- Advanced domain management.Password Manager is capable of managing domains across trust boundaries (no trust relationship required).
- Powerful password policies.Password Manager ensures that only passwords that meet administrator-defined policies are accepted. Unsuccessful authentication attempts are logged and the corresponding accounts are locked if necessary.
- Granular policy enforcement.Password policies are applied on a per-group or per OU basis.
- Questions and Answers authentication mechanism.To reset passwords or unlock accounts, users are prompted to answer a series of questions for which users provide their secret answers when registering with Password Manager.
- Enhanced user name search options.Users can be allowed to view their account attributes, such as user logon name, first name, display name, and SMTP address, when searching for their forgotten user names. A more specific search query returns the most relevant search results.
- Fault tolerance and scalability.Password Manager is designed to work with network load balancing clusters and in a Web farm environment.
Different Site for Different Roles
The Web Interface allows multiple Web sites to be installed with individual, customizable configurations. The following is a list of configuration templates that are available out-of-the box.
- Administration site is for individuals who are responsible for implementing password self-management through performing administrative tasks, such as configuring site-specific settings and enforcing password policies, to suit the specific needs of their organization.
- Helpdesk site handles typical tasks performed by helpdesk operators, such as resetting passwords, unlocking user accounts, assigning temporary passcodes, and managing users' Questions and Answers profiles.
- Self-Service site provides users with the ability to easily and securely manage their passwords, thus eliminating the need for assistance from high-level administrators and reducing helpdesk workload.