Adding an account to one or more account groups
From the Accounts view you can add an account to one or more account groups.
Select an account group to add to an account
- Navigate to Administrative Tools | Accounts.
- In Accounts, select an account from the object list and open the Account Groups tab.
- Click Add Account Group from the details toolbar.
- Select one or more account groups from the list in the Account Groups dialog and click OK.
Create an account group to add to an account
If you do not see the account group you are looking for and you have Security Policy Administrator permissions, you can create an account group from the Account Groups dialog.
- Click Create New and enter the following information:
- Click Add Account Group.
- Create additional account groups, as required.
- Click OK in the Account Groups selection dialog to add the new account groups to the selected account.
Adding one or more accounts to an account group
Modifying an account
Once you add an account, you cannot modify an account's associated asset or its name, but you can modify other information.
To modify an account's information
Navigate to Administrative Tools | Accounts.
- To change the description, profile, or request settings, double-click the account from the object list.
- To view the selected account's password validation and reset history, switch to the Check and Change Log tab.
- To view or export the details of each operation that has affected the selected account, switch to the History tab. To export, select the time frame, then click Export.
- To reset an account's password, right-click the account name and navigate to Account Security and select to check, change, or set the password. For more information, see Checking, changing, or setting an account password.
Deleting an account
When you delete an account, Safeguard for Privileged Passwords does not delete it from its associated asset; it simply removes it from Safeguard for Privileged Passwords.
If you delete a service account, Safeguard for Privileged Passwords changes the asset's authentication type to None, which disables automatic password management for all accounts that are associated with this asset. All assets must have a service account in order to check and change the passwords for the accounts associated with it. For more information, see About service accounts.
To delete an account
- Navigate to Administrative Tools | Accounts.
- In Accounts, select an account from the object list
- Click Delete Selected.
- Confirm your request.
Safeguard for Privileged Passwords allows you to import a .csv file containing a set of accounts, assets, or users. A .csv template for import can be downloaded when you click Import from the toolbar. For more information, see Creating an import file.
Once an import is completed, you can navigate to the Tasks pane in the Toolbox for details about the import process and invalid data messages. For more information, see Viewing task status.
To import objects
- In Administrative Tools, click Assets, Accounts, or Users based on what data you are importing.
- Click Import from the toolbar.
- In the Import dialog, Browse to select an existing .csv file containing a list of objects to import.
- When importing assets, the Discover SSH Host Keys option is selected by default indicating that Safeguard will retrieve the required SSH host key for the assets specified in the .csv file.
- Click OK.
Safeguard for Privileged Passwords imports the objects into its database.
Note:Safeguard for Privileged Passwords does not add an object if any column contains invalid data in the .csv file, with the following exceptions:
- Assets PlatformDisplayName property:
- If Safeguard for Privileged Passwords does not find an exact match, it looks for a partial match. If it finds a partial match, it supplies the <platform> Other platform, such as Other Linux.
- If it does not find a partial match, it supplies the Other platform type.
- Users TimeZoneId property:
- If Safeguard for Privileged Passwords does not find a valid TimeZoneId property (that is, does not find an exact match or no time zone was provided), it uses the local workstation's current time zone.
Note: Do not enter numbers or abbreviations for the TimeZoneId.
- Users Password property:
- Safeguard for Privileged Passwords adds a user without validating the password you provide.
Details for importing directory assets, service accounts, users, and user groups
You can use the steps like those above to import your existing directory infrastructure (such as Microsoft Active Directory). Additional information specific to directory import follows.
Import the directory (and service account) via Administrative Tools | Assets | Import Asset and browse to select the .csv file. Safeguard for Privileged Passwords imports the directory as an asset.
The directory's service account is automatically added to the list of accounts you can viewed via the Assets | Accounts tab.
- Import users and user groups.
- Import directory users via Administrative Tools | Users | Import Users and browse to select the .csv file.
- Assign to user groups via Administrative Tools | Users Groups | Users (select one or multiple users).
- Automatic synchronization: Once you import directory users and directory groups, Safeguard for Privileged Passwords automatically synchronizes the objects in its database with the directory schema attributes. User and group membership changes in the directory are reflected in Safeguard for Privileged Passwords. Directory users authenticate to Safeguard for Privileged Passwords with their directory credentials.
Active Directory and LDAP synchronization
Active Directory and LDAP data is automatically synchronized by asset or identity and authentication providers schema as shown in the following lists.
Asset schema list
- Password (modifiable in LDAP and not modifiable in Active Directory)
- Network Address
- Operating System
- Operating System Version
Identity and Authentication Providers schema list
- First Name
- Last Name
- Work Phone
- Mobile Phone
- External Federation Authentication
- Radius Authentication
- Managed Objects