Configuring a Notification activity
When configuring a Notification activity, you can specify notification settings such as workflow events to notify of, notification recipients, and notification message template. The same settings apply to the Notification section of other activities such as an Approval activity, a Search activity, and CRUD activities.
To view or change notification settings
- In the Active Roles console tree, expand Configuration | Policies | Workflow, and select the workflow containing the activity you want to configure.
This opens the Workflow Designer window in the details pane, representing the workflow definition as a process diagram.
- In the process diagram, right-click the name of the activity and click Properties.
- Click the Notification tab in the Properties dialog box.
The page for configuring notifications includes three areas:
- Events, recipients and messages In this area you can add, view, change or remove notifications, each of which determines an event to notify of, the recipients of the notification message, the message delivery options, and the message template.
- Active Roles Web Interface This area is used to specify the address (URL) of the Active Roles Web Interface, for constructing hyperlinks in the notification messages.
- E-mail server settings In this area you can view or change the name and other settings of the e-mail server that is used for delivery of notification messages.
Events, recipients and messages
To add a notification
- In the Events, recipients and messages area, click Add.
- In the Notification Settings dialog box, in the Select an event, list click the event to notify of.
- On the Notification Recipients tab, select check boxes to specify the notification recipients.
The e-mail addresses of the recipients you select on the Notification Recipients tab appear in the To field of the notification e-mail messages. To add recipient addresses to the Cc or Bcc field, click the Cc Recipients or Bcc Recipients button, respectively. This opens a page that is similar to the Notification Recipients tab, allowing you to view or change which recipient addresses will appear in the Cc or Bcc field.
- On the Notification Delivery tab, select the delivery options you want:
- Select the Immediate option for the notification message to be sent immediately, on every occurrence of the event.
- Select the Scheduled option for the notification messages within a certain time period to be grouped and sent as a single message; then, specify the desired period. This option is available only for the Task created event in an Approval activity.
- On the Notification Message tab, click Modify to view or change the message template, including the subject and the body of the notification message.
- In case of a Notification activity, choose additional options on the Notification Message tab as needed:
- If you want the notification message to include the Change History report (in case of a change workflow) or Run History report (in case of an automation workflow), select the Attach a report of workflow execution to notification message check box.
- For the activity to send plain-text notification messages, select the Format notification message as plain text check box. Otherwise, the activity sends notification messages in HTML format.
- Click OK to close the Notification Settings dialog box.
For the Task created event in an Approval activity, notification can be configured so that notification messages are grouped together and sent out on a scheduled basis. If you select the Scheduled option on the Notification Delivery tab, the messages within a certain, scheduled period are accumulated in a temporary storage instead of being sent out immediately upon event occurrences. Upon the expiration of that period, all the collected messages are sent out as a single message. You can configure the activity to deliver notification on a daily or hourly schedule.
Clicking Modify on the Notification Message tab, opens a window where you can view and modify e-mail notification templates. For each event type, the notification configuration defines a default template based on which Active Roles composes e-mail notification messages. Each template includes XHTML markup along with the text and tokens representing information about the event.
To make notification messages more meaningful to the recipients, notification templates provide the option for the messages to include tokens representing additional information about the event. Click the Insert Token button to view a list of the available tokens. The list provides a brief description for each token.
You can edit templates in order to customize the contents and format of notification e-mails. The changes to templates are notification-specific and event-specific: when you modify the template for a certain event within the configuration of a certain notification, your changes have no effect on the other notifications or events. This allows different notifications and events to have different, custom notification templates.
To view or change a notification
- Click an entry in the Events, recipients and messages list, click Edit, and use the Notification Settings dialog box as described earlier in this topic.
To delete a notification
- Click an entry in the Events, recipients, and messages list, and then click Remove.
Active Roles Web Interface
Active Roles Web Interface
The address (URL) specified in this area is used to construct hyperlinks in the notification messages so that notification recipients can easily access the Web Interface pages for performing workflow tasks.
To specify the address of the Active Roles Web Interface
- In the edit box under Active Roles Web Interface, type the address (URL) of the Active Roles Web Interface site (for example, http://<server>/ARServerAdmin).
- Click Test to verify the address. If the address is correct, this opens the Web Interface site in your Web browser.
E-mail server settings
The settings specified in this area determine the server to use for notification delivery.
To configure e-mail server settings
- In the E-mail server settings area, click Properties.
- Use the Properties dialog box to view or change the e-mail server settings.
To select a different e-mail server configuration
- Click the name of the desired configuration in the Configuration of the outgoing mail server list.
To create an e-mail server configuration
- In the Active Roles console tree, expand Configuration | Server Configuration, right-click Mail Configuration, and select New | Mail Configuration.