The Toolbar contains a number of controls allowing you to manage the current list of objects:
- Click the Menu button on the left side of the Toolbar to save the current list as a personal view, add or remove list columns, or export the list to a text file.
- Type in the Filter field and then click the button next to that field to have the list include only those objects whose naming properties match what you typed.
- Click the Expand/Collapse button on the right side of the Toolbar to configure filtering criteria based on object properties. To have the list include only the objects that match your filtering criteria, click the button next to the Filter field.
The area above the Toolbar displays the name of the current container—the container that holds the objects shown in the list, and identifies the hierarchical path to the current container in the directory. Click the name of a container in the path to view a list of objects held in that container.
Located to the right of the list of objects, the Command pane provides commands you can apply to objects you select from the list as well as commands you can apply to the current container:
- If no objects are selected in the list, the menu includes only the commands that apply to the current container. These commands are grouped under a heading that shows the name of the current container.
- If a single object is selected in the list, the commands that apply to the selected object are added in the top of the menu, under a heading that shows the name of the selected object.
- If multiple objects are selected from the list, the commands that apply to all of the selected objects are added in the top of the menu, under a heading that shows the number of the selected objects.
When you select an object from the list, information about that object is displayed in the Summary pane under the list of objects. The information includes some commonly used properties of the object, and depends upon the object type. For example, user properties provide more detailed information about a user account, such as the logon name, e-mail address, description, job title, department, expiration date, and the date and time that the account was last changed. If you don’t see the Summary pane, click in the area beneath the list of objects.