You can create an OU as follows: in the console tree, right-click the domain or another OU, select New | Organizational Unit, and then follow the instructions in the wizard.
On the first page of the wizard, type the name for the new OU in the Name box. If necessary, select or clear the Protect container from accidental deletion check box. Click Next and then click Finish to complete the operation.
By selecting the Protect container from accidental deletion check box you ensure that the newly created OU cannot be deleted, whether using Active Roles or other tools for Active Directory administration. When somebody attempts to delete an OU for which this check box is selected, the operation returns an error indicating that access is denied. For an existing OU, you can view or change this setting on the Object tab in the Properties dialog box.
To create an Organizational Unit
- In the console tree, locate and select the folder in which you want to add the Organizational Unit.
- Right-click the folder, point to New and click Organizational Unit to start the New Object - Organizational Unit wizard.
- Follow the wizard pages to specify properties of the new Organizational Unit, such as the name of the Organizational Unit.
- If you want to set values for additional properties (those for which the wizard pages do not provide data entries), click Edit Attributes on the completion page of the wizard.
- After setting any additional properties for the new Organizational Unit, click Finish on the completion page of the wizard.
|NOTE: To create an Organizational Unit, you can also click the domain node or folder in which you want to add the Organizational Unit, and then click on the toolbar.|
To find an Organizational Unit, select the domain you want to search, and click Find. In the Find window, select Organizational Units from the Find list, specify your search criteria, and start the search. In the search results list, you can right-click Organizational Units and use commands on the shortcut menu to perform management tasks. For more information, see Finding objects earlier in this document.
To find an Organizational Unit
- On the Action menu, click Find to display the Find window.
- In the Find box, click Organizational Units.
- In the Name box, type the name of the Organizational Unit you want you want to find.
- Click Find Now to start your search.
- You can manage found Organizational Units directly from the list in the Find window: right-click a list item, and then use commands on the shortcut menu to perform management tasks.
- For more information on how to search for Organizational Units, see Steps for searching for an Organizational Unit earlier in this document.
- You can use the Advanced tab for more powerful search options. For details, see Steps for using advanced search options earlier in this document.