After setting up the hardware appliance
Step 1: Log in to the web client
- Log in using the Bootstrap Administrator account with the configured IPv4 or IPv6 address for the primary interface (X0). To log in with an IPv6 address, enter it in square brackets.
- License Safeguard for Privileged Passwords using the provided license file. Go to Licensing:
- (web client): Appliance Management | Appliance | Licensing.
Click to upload a new license file.
The Software Transaction Agreement will be displayed after a new license is uploaded and must be read and accepted in order to use Safeguard for Privileged Passwords.
Defining archive server configurations and assigning an archive server to an appliance are done from Appliance Management:
- Go to Appliance Management | Backup and Retention | Archive Servers to configure archive servers.
To configure the time zone:
- Navigate to User Management | Settings | Time Zone.
- Select the time zone in the Default User Time Zone drop-down menu.
- Ensure that your Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Appliance has the latest software version installed. To check the version:
- Click Appliance Management | Appliance | Appliance Information. The Appliance Version is displayed.
Go to the following product support page for the latest version:
- If necessary, apply a patch. Wait for maintenance to complete. If you are installing multiple patches, repeat as needed.
Download the latest update from: https://support.oneidentity.com/one-identity-safeguard/.
- From the Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Home page, select Appliance Management | Appliance | Patch Updates.
Click Upload a File and browse to select an update file.
NOTE: When you select a file, Safeguard for Privileged Passwords uploads it to the server, but does not install it.
- Click Install Now to install the update file immediately.
- In the confirmation dialog, enter the word Install and click OK.
- Once you have updated Safeguard for Privileged Passwords, be sure to back up your Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Appliance.
Changing the Bootstrap Administrator's password
The Bootstrap Administrator is a built-in account that allows you to get the appliance set up for first-time use. To keep your Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Appliance secure, once the license is added, change the default password for the Bootstrap Administrator’s account.
To change the password (local users):
- web client: Click your user name in the upper-right corner of the screen and select My Settings. Open the My Account page and click the Change Password button.
If this password is ever lost, you can reset it to the default of Admin123. See the Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Administration Guide, Admin password reset topic.
Step 2: Backup Safeguard for Privileged Passwords
Immediately after your initial installation of Safeguard for Privileged Passwords, make a backup of your Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Appliance.
NOTE: The default backup schedule runs at 4:00 AM UTC, which can be modified or you can manually run a backup.
- From the Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Home page, open Appliance Management | Backup and Retention | Backup and Restore.
- Click Run Now.
Step 3: Add a user with Authorizer administrative permissions
The Authorizer Administrator is responsible for granting administrative access to One Identity Safeguard for Privileged Passwords.
From the Safeguard for Privileged Passwords Home page, open User Management | Users.
- Click New User to create a Safeguard for Privileged Passwords user with local identity and authentication, and Authorizer permissions.
NOTE: When you choose Authorizer permissions, Safeguard for Privileged Passwords also selects User and Help Desk permissions. These additional settings cannot be cleared.
- Log out:
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click your user name.
- Select Log Out.