You can schedule one or more Asset Discovery jobs to run automatically against the directories or network (IP range) you have added to Safeguard for Privileged Passwords. The assets in the scope of the discovery job may include assets that were previously added (manually) to the Safeguard partition. For more information, see Adding an asset.
If you use Directory as the asset discovery Method, directory assets that are shared can be discovered into any partition. To share a directory asset, select Available for discovery across all partitions for the asset; see Management tab (add asset).
When an Asset Discovery job runs, the found asset is added to Assets. If the operating system cannot be detected in the Network Scan or Directory method of asset discovery, the Linux operating system is applied which you can modify later.
For more information, see Asset Discovery job workflow.
Properties and toolbar
Go to Asset Discovery:
- web client: Navigate to Asset Management | Discovery | Assets
Use these toolbar buttons to manage the discovery job settings.
Table 118: Asset Discovery: Toolbar
| New Asset Discovery Job
Add an Asset Discovery job. For more information, see Adding an Asset Discovery job.
Delete the selected Asset Discovery job.
| View Details
Modify the selected Asset Discovery job. You can also double-click a row to open the edit dialog.
Run the selected Asset Discovery job. A Task pop-up display which shows the progress and completion.
||Use this button to export the listed data as either a JSON or CSV file. For more information, see Exporting data.|
Update the list of Asset Discovery jobs that have run.
Enter the character string to be used to search for a match. For more information, see Search box.
Asset Discovery jobs display in the grid.
Table 119: Asset Discovery: Asset Discovery job grid
||Name of the discovery job|
||The creator of the job.|
||The type of job, for example, Windows, Unix, or Directory|
||The directory on which the discovery job runs|
The partition in which to manage the discovered assets or assets
|Designates when the Asset Discovery job runs|
|Last Run Date
||The date the selected Asset Discovery job ran|
|Next Run Date
||The date when the Asset Discovery job is scheduled to run next|
Last Success Run Date
|The most recent date the selected Asset Discovery job successfully ran|
Last Failure Run Date
|The most recent date the selected Asset Discovery job failed|
You can configure, schedule, test, and run Asset Discovery jobs. After the job has run, you can select whether to manage the asset. You can also view information about the Asset Discovery jobs that have run.
Asset Discovery job workflow
- Create an Asset Discovery job. For more information, see Adding an Asset Discovery job.
- After you save the Asset Discovery job, you can test it by selecting Run Now. For more information, see Asset Discovery.
- After the Asset Discovery job runs, select the asset discovery job and click View Details. For more information, see Asset Discovery Results.
To control management of an asset, navigate to Asset Management | Assets, select the asset, and choose one of these context menu options.
- On Asset Management | Assets, you can show or hide assets marked as disabled, use the following buttons. For more information, see Assets.
||Display the disabled assets.|
||Hide assets marked as disabled.|
- Search the Activity Center for information about discovery jobs that have run. Safeguard for Privileged Passwords lists the Asset Discovery events in the Asset Discovery Activity category.
You can add a new Asset Discovery job.
To add an asset discovery job
- Navigate to Asset Management | Discovery.
- Open the Assets tab.
- Click New Asset Discovery Job to create a new Asset Discovery job.
- In the New Asset Discovery Job dialog, provide information for the discovery job on the following tabs:
After you save the discovery job, you can modify or run it using the Asset Discovery toolbar. For more information, see Asset Discovery.
- web client: Asset Management | Discovery | Assets | (add or edit a Asset Discovery job).
On the General tab, supply general information about the Asset Discovery job and identify the partition where you want Safeguard for Privileged Passwords to add the assets it discovers.
Table 120: Discovery: General properties
Enter a name for the Asset Discovery job.
Limit: 50 characters
Enter information about this Asset Discovery job.
Limit: 255 characters
Use Browse to select the partition in which to manage the discovered assets. You can also add a new partition from the Partitions dialog (accessed via the Browse button) by clicking Create New.
IMPORTANT: You cannot change the partition after you save this discovery job.