MMC interface access management
On installing Active Roles on a computer, the MMC interface user access setting is not enabled by default, and any user is enabled to log in to the MMC interface. You can use Configuration Center, to set the Active Roles MMC interface user access.
To manage the MMC interface access
On the Dashboard page in the Configuration Settings main window, in the MMC Interface Access area, click Manage Settings .
- On the MMC Interface Access page that opens, in the Settings area, click on the Component item, and then click Modify or double-click on the Component item.
- On the MMC Interface Access wizard that is displayed, select one of the following options:
- Allow Console (MMC Interface) access for all users: Enables user to log in to MMC interface.
- Restrict Console (MMC Interface) access for all users: Selecting this option restricts all non Active Roles Administrators from using the console. All delegated users are affected, however, it does not apply to Active Roles Administrators.
- Click OK.
The MMC Interface Access settings get configured successfully. A message is displayed prompting you to restart the Administrative Service to disconnect the current MMC interface user sessions and for the updated settings to be reflected on the MMC interface.
- The user must be delegated with the User Interfaces access rights on the User Interfaces container under Server Configuration to obtain access to the MMC interface. User Interfaces Access templates that provide the access rights are available as part of the Active Roles built-in Access templates in the User Interfaces container.
- For information on delegating Console access to specified users, see Delegating control to users for accessing MMC interface
Logging management tasks
You can use Configuration Center to enable or disable, and view diagnostic logs for the Active Roles components that are installed on the computer running Configuration Center. On the Logging page, Configuration Center lists the following information:
- Component Name of the component, such as Administration Service, Web Interface or Console (MMC Interface)
- Logging Indicates whether logging is enabled or disabled for the given component, and the logging level, such as Basic or Verbose
- Log location Depending upon the component, identifies either the folder containing the log files or the log file for that component
The toolbar on the Logging page allows you to perform the following tasks:
- To enable or disable logging for a given component, select the component in the list, and then click Modify on the toolbar.
- To open the folder that contains the log file or files for a given component, select the component in the list, and then click Browse with Explorer on the toolbar.
- To examine the Administration Service log file in Log Viewer, select Administration Service in the list of components and then click Open in Log Viewer on the toolbar. For information about Log Viewer, see Active Roles Log Viewer later in this document.
Active Roles supports Solution Intelligence to monitor the web application and detect performance issues. Active Roles administrators can enable or disable the Solution Intelligence feature that supports intelligent collection for Active Roles solution usage data.
The telemetry data that is captured for Active Role is sent to the Azure portal and can be accessed by the development team for analysis. In addition to the general telemetry data that is collected by Microsoft Azure, Solution Intelligence in Active Roles helps captures data about the Active Roles language pack usage by customers, referred to as Language pack telemetry and the area of bugs and issues referred to as the diagnostic telemetry.
The Language pack telemetry provides insights for the following:
- Product version
- Language name
- Language display name
- Language code identifier
- Installation of language pack
You can enable or disable Solution Intelligence by using Configuration Center. For information on managing Solution Intelligence for Active Roles, see Enabling or disabling Solution Intelligence.
Enabling or disabling Solution Intelligence
On installing Active Roles on a computer, the Solution Intelligence setting is not enabled by default. To allow the Solution Intelligence to retrieve telemetry data of Active Roles, you can use Configuration Center, to enable the Active Roles Solution Intelligence.
NOTE:Active Roles Service must be installed and running on the system for the Solution Intelligence feature to be .
To manage the Solution Intelligence setting
On the Dashboard page in the Configuration Settings main window, click Solution Intelligence.
- On the Solution Intelligence page, select the Enable Solution Intelligence option.
- Click Save.
The Solution Intelligence settings are configured successfully and a success message is displayed.
NOTE: The changed status may take approximately up to 30 minutes to reflect during which, the telemetry may still be sent until new setting is applied to the website. You may Reset IIS if you want the settings to be applied immediately.