Most of the tasks related to Group Family administration are performed by using the Properties command on the groups used to store Group Family configurations. In the Active Roles console, such groups are marked with a special icon, to distinguish them from regular groups.
So, when you create a Group Family, a group is created to store the Group Family configuration. The group is assigned the name you have provided for the Group Family, and marked with the Group Family icon:
To facilitate Group Family administration, the Properties dialog box for a configuration storage group includes a number of Group Family-specific tabs:
- General tab Displays the name of the Group Family and allows the administrator to view or modify the description, group type, and group scope of the storage group.
- Controlled Groups tab Lists the groups that are under the control of the Group Family, and allows the administrator to view or modify the group-to-grouping links and group creation-related rules.
- Groupings tab Allows the administrator to view or modify the Group Family scope and the list of group-by properties.
- Schedule tab Displays Group Family schedule-related information, and allows the administrator to view or modify scheduling settings.
- Action Summary tab Displays information about the last run of the Group Family, and allows the administrator to view a log detailing results of the run.
These tabs are discussed in more detail later in this section.
The Action menu on each Group Family configuration storage group includes the Force Run command, so you can run the Group Family if you want to update it right away, without waiting for the scheduled run time.