In order to identify replication-related problems, you can use the Active Roles console connected to the Publisher Administration Service. If there are any replication failures, a red triangle is displayed on the Server Configuration and Configuration Databases containers in the console tree. In the details pane, the same icon is used to highlight the database affected by a replication failure.
If you have encountered a replication failure, you should ensure that the SQL Server Agent service is started on the computer running the Publisher SQL Server, and then use SQL Server Management Studio to get more information on that failure:
- In Object Explorer, connect to the instance of the SQL Server Database Engine that holds the Publisher role, and then expand that instance.
- Right-click the Replication folder, and click Launch Replication Monitor.
- In the left pane of the Replication Monitor window, expand your Publisher SQL Server, and click AelitaReplica.
- In the right pane of the Replication Monitor window, on the Warnings and Agents tab, look for a red icon under Agents and jobs related to this publication. This icon indicates a Snapshot Agent error:
- Right-click the agent that has encountered an error and then click View Details.
- In the Snapshot Agent window, view the error description under Error details or message of the selected session.
- In the right pane of the Replication Monitor window, on the All Subscriptions tab, look for a red icon in the list of subscriptions. This icon indicates a Merge Agent error:
- On the All Subscriptions tab, right-click the subscription that has encountered an error and then click View Details.
- In the Subscription window, view the error description under Last message of the selected session.
Some typical errors are discussed later in this document (see the Troubleshooting Replication failures section). The Troubleshooting Replication failures section also provides information on how to resolve such errors.